Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it – no matter if I have said it! – except it agree with your own reason and your own common sense.” – Siddhartha Gautama, a.k.a. the Buddha

Yah, we’re good! (Delayed Friday post)

I kinda like the new display that came with the new charge controller. 

It has several useful measurements buried in menu’s to include a history of charge/discharge as measured in Kwh. And even keeps tabs on all three points in the system separately on three scales.

Redundant?  You betcha!  Redundant is insurance.


High volts low amps, midrange wattage?? Explanation forthcoming.

The 8 watts is my ceiling fan, woo-hoo!

As you can see, a few days with direct charging didn’t do any real damage.  Monday, when I started uncontrolled charging, my batteries were sitting at 12.1.  I sure as heck didn’t want them getting lower than that, let alone sitting there while waiting for the new controller. Sitting discharged is what causes sulfation and that will kill a battery dead. As it was, I had a 1/2A load on them all day while I was at work.  Not too much but enough to drain off any heavy charging.  I figured it would take a few days to get back to 100% and I was right.  As you can see above, they just hit that stage and are about to go into equalization mode. (I hope! The last controller claimed such, but I never did see it.) (Ps; they did go into eq mode later that afternoon. Yippee! )

(Note:the display shows roughly  70 watts hitting the batteries.  I have 400 watts of panel on the roof in as optimum a position as I can get them.  Its rather confusing at second glance.  The PV Voltage is quite high while the wattage is low.  A few seconds after I took that pic, the voltage dropped to a bit higher than battery v, and the wattage came to near my full rating.  That shows me that the controller is using some part of its programming to pulse the charge profile.  I am happy with that.   I could get more consistency by putting them on a tracker, but I have not been able to find one I like in my price range.  I really like the zomeworks units, but,,,.)

Today’s project is truck maintence, and coming up with a solid state analog controlled diverter for the windmill.  Zener diodes and 50a relays are the order of the day, but that’s for later.  I already have the dump load set up (1500w heating element submerged in water/glycol mix), it just isn’t hooked up to anything yet.  I likely won’t need it till mid October any way as this the calm hot and dry part of the year. As per Dio’s usual wild n crazy ideas, I have no idea if this diverter will work or not, but danged if I ain’t gonna try it.  

Speaking of windmills, the eagle has been doing me proud.  Both my uncle  and dad have told me how often they see it chugging along.  It isn’t enough to make an impact yet, but it’s far more than what the old one did. (And it’s churning now as I type this and we are only getting 4mph breezes)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s