House update, with pics
SO here we are again. Lots going on in my little cranium, not as much in the physical world. Have some pics of what I have been doing while waiting for my hot water heater to arrive in the mail. I picked up that Bamboo hardwood flooring on discount, but it rocks. Gotta be careful cutting it as splinters from bamboo are flat out EVIL!!!!!! and like metal splinters are daggum hard to see, but you sure as shit know they are there. One little point about building my own counter tops, I get to choose the height! I ain’t a short person and the one issue I have always had with general purpose factory built counters is that they tend to be for shorter people. I ain’t getting any younger, and leaning over a sink to do dishes tends to make me want to not do them. (and my sisters will tell you that is just one more excuse in a long line of excuses over 40+ years, LOL) (heck, why lie, I hate doing dishes,,,,) Anyhoos, long story short, that counter is at 39 ½ inches and makes all my counter work much easier on this abused back. Cooking, prep, dishes, all easier on the old bod. I am still figuring out how I am doing the shelving underneath, but that is all part of the fun. At least now, I have a mostly functional kitchen (hot water hot water hot water, waitin’s on the hot water,,,,) and while I hate doing those dishes, NOW, I can do them as I work, and not have them build up on me. And believe me, in a house this small, one or two meals of dishes looks like I have been lazy for a week. (and part of why I like living small, makes one more honest in chores and storage of things.)
More on that bamboo flooring. It is three layers sandwiched together like a laminate, but all bamboo, not center filler of MSB or some-such like in Pergo flooring. Tough stuff. All the dimensions on the box are in Standard English measurements, but, BUT, the original mill work was done in metric so where you think three layers might be 3/4” it is actually 14mm.(9/16”) and length looks like three feet but is actually one meter. Kinda messed me up because I am used to standard measurements when building and not having to convert over, but once I got going, easy-peasy. Heck, it looks good anyway, and being tough stuff, I know I am not going to have to worry about it for years. I glued all of it together, and to the framing, with TiteBond III which is waterproof once dry, and I used flooring nails and finishing nails to hold it to the 2X4 framing. The fit is tight enough that it tried to flex up once I got that last piece in. A little weight (sleeping dog) and a couple of bench clamps, and all good. Long story short, If’n I ever sell this place and the new owner wants to replace that counter, He/she is going to be cursing my name and all of my hell spawn with language that would make a Marine grunt blush. Someone is going to have to use a sawzall and hope they don’t tear down the house in the process.
At the sink, note there is a second faucet like thing on the right. That is a drinking water tap that is fed through a filter. I decided that route instead of trying to filter all the water in the house. Yes, the water I collect is spring water, but there has been a lot of work done in these hills (logging and Strip mining at one point) and I would rather not risk something percolating into my supply. Washing up in it is fine, drinking it, not so much. As is, I do need to clean my tank frequently and I treat it pretty steadily through the summer months. Not enough to destroy the taste, but enough to keep algae from forming on the walls of the tank. It’s been over a year in place and so far, no odd odors in the tank, just water and a hint of chlorine for a day or two after I treat it. Stinking water is my biggest fear as that would mean starting that whole process over. We have wildlife all over and the chance of something dying up hill from my spring is very real. Don’t know if it will filter out in the rocks or not, but there is always that chance it won’t. Not a good fuzzy feeling thinking about that scenario.
I have a couple of posts in the wings, but seeing how little traffic I have had of late, Holding off. I don’t know if its the time of year, or just general feelings about whats been going on in the IIIper/prepper/militia/conservative/libertarian/ what have you movements. Been watching things and to be honest, I think we are right back where we were when Oblammy took office. Lots of damage done recently and the divisions amongst groups has receded to where it was then. At least that is my opinion from this perspective. I could be wrong, and hopefully am.
Anyway, I have an on demand water heater arriving later this week and I will be installing that on the weekend. I will try to document it in pics as well as I am doing something a little different with the exhaust side of things. I read a couple of reviews where people had the internal pipes freeze and bust and that is NOT covered under the warranty. After reading the reviews though, it sounds like someone just tried to shortcut the system and set themselves up for failure in the process. Either way, I don’t intend on having to deal with that and the setup I plan should act as an airlock against such happening. (I also am NOT located north of the arctic circle and installed the unit in an unheated storage shed, so I just might be going overkill. Either way, the vent is on a windward wall, and I don’t want winter killing my water heater.)
Will post all of that up next sunday sometime. Y’all take care of yourselves this week. I’ll be busy.