Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it – no matter if I have said it! – except it agree with your own reason and your own common sense.” – Siddhartha Gautama, a.k.a. the Buddha

Wow, talk about you guys having all the fun while I am away! Looks like a lot of self inflicted wounds flying around the spheres out there. Guessing that those doing the damage don’t see it that way though. LOL Not like I really give a rats ass about that stink anymore. Let the children play at race baiting and when it all comes apart, well, nuff said. Onward.
Been busier than hell the last week obviously, enough so that I am resorting to using a greasy spoon for my net access today. Blech!. But I am moving forward, and that is well worth the situation today. Money is movin’ around and there will be some progress made towards the shop here shortly. Good news for me and the Voo.
But I did have one set back here recently, and I wanted to share how I overcame it. Had a series of days where the sun was hard to find. Didn’t notice that I was having panel issues due to that. When the sun started shining again, realized that I was looking at 3 of 5 panels with ZERO output. Luckily, they are the cheapy HB kind that I actually prefer. I like these panels for several reasons. While output is low, they will put out voltage even when the higher priced panels are barely ticking. I have even noted voltage from these panels on full moon nights!

Anyway, I needed to fix this ASAP. I have looked into the guts of these panels before, and here you get to see it as well. Pretty straight forward repair. Chip away a little safety glass, solder in a new attachment and presto, Voltage again! Much easier than trying to track down new ones (most HB’s have these on backorder right now as they are rapidly growing in demand) and far cheaper as well. Skills needed are simple soldering skills and a willingness to chip the glass. The glass panels these are made of are two sectioned pane glass with the panel sandwiched in the middle and the whole mess held together with a gel type glue. With finesse, you can chip only one pane to access the strip you need to work with.
For some, this may even open up an oppurtunity to salvage some from other sources that don’t wanna mess with ’em. Just a thought.

More later, back to work.

lotsa little screws!

lotsa little screws!

shower caulk!?!?!?

shower caulk!?!?!?

IMG_0757

You can see the strip we are looking for here.

You can see the strip we are looking for here.

IMG_0759

IMG_0760

IMG_0761

Advertisements

4 responses

  1. Yeah the kids can have their fun. The effort won’t pay well but you can’t tell them. Very nice work! Looking to adding a new array soon. Figure maybe 2.5Kw. Still working the storage issue. Not enough money nor time. But life is grand.

    August 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm

  2. Nice work! You’ll have to give me the details. Storage is always the issue. You mean, Capital? Life is just… Capital? LOL!

    August 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm

  3. Dog gone it Dio I just start catching up with you on the wood and now you are doing solar panels 🙂

    I had a lot of intrest on using the little wood stove and setting one up in the RV like yours. So I sent those folks to see your set up.

    I had a possible idea for you making money with your shop. Making a smoker out of a double stack of 55 gallon drums. The idea was based on a guy that wanted a no weld smoker. But you know that stuff so that shouldn’t be a problem!
    Anyway if you have seen the kits for building a wood stove from two 55 gallon drums it’s a similar concept but instead of having the chimney pipe at one end for both drums you add a small pipe at the front end between the barrels so the smoke flows over the meat before it escapes the main chimney pipe.

    I’m not sure how much your time and effort would cost but the materials are some what cheap. If nothing else it might be good stove for your shop and help you do some long term food storage for meat and fish.

    August 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm

  4. Ultimate Ordnance

    I had a problem with bad connections on a couple of my solar panels. I usually destroy whatever I touch with a soldering iron, so I tried some wire glue. It worked like a charm. Get it here: http://www.sciplus.com/p/CONDUCTIVE-WIRE-GLUE_41172

    September 11, 2013 at 10:39 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s