When I am not flying low over the roads of this great country, I get the chance to dig into projects. Fact is, I always have several on the burners, not all really get a chance to take off. Some may sit in hiatus for years before they come to fruition, but eventually, they all get at least a shot at the light of day.
As noted by one of my recent projects, getting to the light of day does not mean they are viable. My human powered genny was one such. That whole torque reaction really showed me that was not an option. And that wasn’t even a big alternator, just a small DC motor.
Well, I found a 10″ dia. pipe and decided to make a go at the wind generator idea.
I figured I would pass on some information I have found to help others out if they are thinking of doing this as well.
Note the blade to the left seems larger than the other blade. Fact: it is. By nearly an inch in width at its widest. This is my template to cut the other blades with. Yes, the blades are just over 4 feet in length.
If you are going to do this, make sure that you have that template cut and use it to cut each blade. Later, it can be cut down if needed as a blade. Especially if you need to replace a blade from wind damage.
Remember that Pulley I made for the human powered generator? Well that is going to become the hub for these blades. That will leave me the flexibility for adapting to whatever these blades will eventually drive. I haven’t found that particular piece yet. The motor I have won’t work for the same reasons it didn’t work on the HPG. Too high of a RPM rate to gain the power output needed. I don’t expect a high RPM rate out of these blades. Actually, I don’t want to see a high rate out of these blades, but I do want to see boat loads of torque. That way, even if I have to run a gear box to gain some RPM’s, the option is there.
I do intend to play a tad with the pitch of the blades as well. Having that hub will allow me to do so. I am thinking, from looking at the curve of the blade, that a 20-30 degree pitch will make them more efficient. Of course, that is all guess work at this stage. I don’t know how to calculate that stuff, and this ol’ dog is gettin’ long in tooth to go learning it. Empirical trials will be the order of the day when I get to that point. But that is not yet. I still need to cut out the other blades, Trim them up and smooth the edges to airfoil shape and then balance them against each other. Don’t want things flying apart at a couple hundred RPM. But not today.
Instead, today will be spent patching a leak, thanks to all the lovely rain Mama Nature has decided to send our way. That and dealing with a grumpy mutt that hates cold and wet days (when his GF Jayne is not around). But I am warm, and have the means to get warm if I do get cold, and I have projects to keep me busy, and THAT makes me a happy Dio.