New coaming is coming along. Brian and I have had a running email conversation about it and his final analysis was for me to use 31.5″ for the internal length. Sadly, logistics kicked in and denied me that option. If I go that route, I have to bring down another tree and cut a new log the length I need. Not real keen on taking a tree for one dinky piece of wood. The one I have is a few inches too short to cleanly make a cockpit to those dimensions. I’ll make due with the 29″ cockpit “until the next boat”. Then I’ll have more need for more wood and will know I need a longer log to work with.
Rib stock cut, good n damp but not green. Cut an extra 10 pieces ‘just in case’.
Then I put them on the boat, numbered, measured, and cut them to length.
I then went through and made certain all the mortices on both sides, would accept the ribs as laid out. I had to clean up a couple but no big deal.
I’m ready to fire up the steam box and have a fast n furious session of wood bending. With my hand being injured, I am hesitating on that as there is a lot of torquing of the wood going on in bending and I am not sure that would be such a good thing just yet. With the weather being a northern blast riding in, it may be a good thing to hold off as well. I am doing this outside though under roof, a slightly warmer day will help. Fast cooling of the wood would likely muss me up, seeing how this is a first time run for me. I want some wiggle room so to speak.
Then again, I may just move everything inside for a few hours and torture injuries. I can be tenacious like that: ‘damn the torpedoes!’ ‘Retreat? Hell!’ Yada yada yada,,,